September 25, 2019
Some people might not know this, but catching some zzz’s is one of the best things you can do for your body. Getting a good night’s rest is crucial for your well-being. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, getting quality sleep can help protect your mental and physical health. During sleep your body is working to support healthy brain function, as well as, maintain your physical health.
Sleeping is a basic human need just like eating or drinking. Without it, you can run into some serious health problems. But how do you know if you have a sleep deficiency? You might be having a hard time focusing or you might find yourself falling asleep during everyday activities. Developing better sleep habits is a good way to combat sleep deprivation. If you are someone that wants to develop better sleep habits, then we have a few tips for you!
Five Tips to Help You Develop Better Sleep Habits
1. Start winding down for bedtime about an hour before you actually should fall asleep. It’s very beneficial for you to give your body some time to get in relaxation mode. Avoid staring at bright lights like a computer or phone screen. Instead, you should try reading a book. You can also try a guided meditation to help your brain relax.
2. Be more physically active. If you spend time outside doing physical activities, then your body will have an easier time getting to sleep.
3. Try to create a sleep schedule where you go to bed and wake up at around the same time each day. This will help your body get into a rhythm so that it knows what your sleep schedule is supposed to be. Our body clocks are usually good at picking up on this schedule.
4. Avoid eating or drinking anything heavy before bed. A light snack is okay, but it is better if you are eating something nutritious. Also be sure to limit your caffeine intake. For some people, they cannot drink caffeine after a certain point or they can’t sleep.
5. Create a relaxing environment in your bedroom with dim lights and cool air. This will help your body get into relaxation mode when you are trying to wind down for bed. Make sure that you are comfortable.
How Naps Can Improve Your Health
Looking for an even bigger boost to your overall sleeping habits? You can give napping a try! Naps can give you a small boost in alertness and performance. They are great if you just want to give yourself a little more energy to finish out the day. However, adults should only nap for about 20 minutes a day. If you nap too much, then you’ll start having trouble falling asleep at night. For children, naps are essential for promoting healthy growth and development. Incorporating a 20-minute nap into your day (when you need it) is a great way to help give your body the boost it needs.